Tommy Hilfiger FALL 2011 COLLECTION, MERCEDES-BENZ FASHION WEEK
I’m actually a little excited! I love the colors of Grey and Burgundy and Navy. The fabric are also pretty nice.
“After turning to the design of clothing by designing for the rest of his stores in upstate New York, Hilfiger moved to New York City with his now estranged wife, Susie. Although he was offered design assistant positions with designers Calvin Klein and Perry Ellis, and was broke, he turned them both down with greater plans in mind.
In 1984, he founded the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation, (NYSE:TOM), with support from The Murjani Group, which went public in 1992, introducing his signature menswear collection. By 2004 the company had 5,400 employees and revenues in excess of $1.8 billion. Hilfiger was named Menswear Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 1997.
In 1998, Hilfiger gave singer Aaliyah her endorsement deal, in which he honored her in his Summer 1998 fashion show in Jamaica.
In 2005, a CBS TV reality show called The Cut tracked the progress of sixteen contestants as they competed for a design job with Hilfiger in similar fashion to Donald Trump’s The Apprentice. In the end Hilfiger chose Chris Cortez.
Largely due to declining sales, in 2006, Tommy Hilfiger sold his company for $1.6 billion, or $16.80 a share, to Apax Partners, a private investment company.
In March 2010, Phillips-Van Heusen, owner of Calvin Klein, bought the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation for $3 billion.
- Hilfiger Denim, a premium-upscale denim collection for men and women. Designs are inspired by American classics and finished with a modern edge.
- True Star Gold, fragrance created by Hilfiger and spokeswoman Beyoncé Knowles
- True Star, another fragrance created by Hilfiger and with spokesperson Beyoncé Knowles & True Star Men, a fragrance created by Hilfiger and with spokesperson Enrique Iglesias
- Tommy Girl, fragrance for women
- Red Label, a line of denim-themed products including jeans, t-shirts, and sweatshirts
- H by Tommy Hilfiger, an upscale line which was ended after Tommy Hilfger sold his company, the same sort of style is now carried on under the Tommy Hilfiger label in their specialty stores
- Tommy Hilfiger, the company line of clothes sold in department stores, company stores, and specialty stores
- Tommy Sport, a defunct line that came out in the 1990s and capitalized on Hilfiger’s popularity in urban areas.
- Tommy Hilfiger for the Home, a line of bedding and bath products
- Tommy Sailing, was due to be released in January or February 2007
Look For Tommy Hilfiger’s Spring/ Summer 2011 online now- we’ll have to wait for F/W 2011